Geographic Information System
Our civil engineers are tasked with working with large volumes of data from various sources. Our Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technology and location intelligence applications ensure that we are well-equipped with the required tools for creating, managing, analysing, visualising and disseminating data that is required for the management and development of infrastructure.
One of the significant benefits of these systems is that important data can be spatially updated without having to visit the site or manually updating the database – thereby saving our client’s time and costs. They also allow for the efficient facilitation of sustainable development strategies between organisations and governments.
Mining and Engineering Surveying
We offer specialist topographical and mining survey services. We are able to offer sub-centimeter accuracy by using a Trimble R7/R8 GPS for our surveying.
At ECA Consulting, we make use of GIS as it provides our engineers with the IT framework required to maintain and deploy critical data and applications throughout the infrastructure project lifecycle. This lifecycle includes: planning, design, data collection and management, constructions and operations management, maintenance and spatial analysis. With GIS all engineers, construction contractors, surveyors, and analysts working on a project can gather required data and information from one source. All role players can thus visualise, analyse and make decisions as a result of access to centrally hosted applications and data
- Volumetric surveys for earthworks and stockpiles
- Geographical and engineering surveys
- Drafting of plans, DTM’s and long sections
Latest Trimble R8 GNSS systems provide:
- Advanced Trimble R-Track™ Technology
- Unmatched tracking of GNSS satellite signals
- Superior performance in challenging RTK apps
- Capacity to track up to 44 satellites
- Flexible system design and remote configuration
GIS Field Survey Data Collection
In projects where surveyed positions require associated details captured, ECA Consulting provides professional field survey data collection services with GIS. All data capturing is done with a predefined electronic form on a GPS unit. Units used include Trimble GeoXT and Juno. These units have a built-in camera for geo-tagged photos, and all data is completed electronically, onsite.
Advantages of data capturing with our system:
- Eliminates the need to write down information on paper forms and recapture these details again in a database at the office
- Eliminates typing errors associated with the paper form method
- Eliminates the tedious and time-consuming job of associating photographs taken in the field, with GPS coordinates. Photographs can be taken via the built-in digital camera, and are automatically geo-tagged and hyperlinked with their surveyed positions.
Typical projects that we handle with this method:
- Municipal infrastructure surveys for WSDP / IDP input
- Roads master plan compilation
- Infrastructure map book compilation
Municipal GIS Support
ECA Consulting provides GIS support for local government that benefits both end-user and management. We provide a systematic approach and implement a plan to assist municipalities to develop a fully functional GIS system to provide support services to all municipal departments. The following benefits can be expected:
- End-users can easily view and/or update spatial data via a web-based interface or a local network.
- Management can be provided with easy and fast reporting systems on spatial data.
GIS-based Managed Systems
We can provide customised, user-friendly spatial data applications for both end users and management within a municipal set up. Examples of such applications include:
- Integrated Management Systems, customised to the client’s environment and needs;
- Localised/web-based GIS Viewer with access to main GIS database (open-source and proprietary software);
- Exporting project details to Google Earth to enable users to view data in a 3-D environment;
- Updating of Cadastral-related details, such as land use and zoning, via a user-friendly end-user interface;
- Automated Building Plan Approval System linked to Cadastral data set;
- Reporting system on Financial Details linked with Cadastral data set, such as water usage, billing and;
- Asset Management System integrated with spatial data.
Integrated management systems with GIS allow users to update attribute details and management is able to draw reports by querying the spatial data.
Forestry and Environmental
ECA Consulting has been involved in various environmental related projects including Groundwater Protocols, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Visual Impact Assessment (VIA) studies. With VIA studies, the assessment process is less subjective to those conducting the study due to our unique scoring matrix. The photomontage process creates realistic representations of the proposed infrastructure on location, with and without migration.
Spatial Data Integrations and Conversions
Spatial data is made more compatible and accessible with better visual and performance qualities than standard tools with our various data conversion processes. This means that data can be viewed and queried by users working outside of the GIS environment as well.
These include: GIS to CAD, GIS to Google Earth, Raster conversions, GPS data type conversions and ArcReader Project Files.
Completed Projects Review